Interesting facts abound that are found in the research regarding the benefits of engaging in some daily exercise and physical activity:
- Live longer and healthier by walking off the weight.
- Regular exercise may help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease later.
- Millions of people are in poor condition and even in poor health simply because of the lack of exercise.
- Exercise bumps up the activity of important cells that fight off viruses and bacteria, and helps improve the immune system.
- Adding aerobic exercise, e.g. exercise which requires more oxygen, i.e., like getting a cardio work out, will burn more calories, and strengthen and give protection for the heart.
- Exercise also increases HDL cholesterol, lowers LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and resting blood pressure and helps control blood sugar.
- According to data from the Nurses Health Study, 30 minutes of walking per day may cut heart attack risk by 30 to 40 percent.
- A study published inThe Journal of the American Medical Association found that brisk walking for 2 1/2 hours a week helped people lose 6.9 percent of the dangerous belly fat around their waistline (an average of an inch).
- Doing yard work and housework, washing the car, painting the walls, doing projects to keep the body busy also gets projects done, all the while improving our health! That’s healthy multi-tasking with accomplishments to show for it.
- “Schedule some form of activity every day to get cardiovascular benefit,” says Dr. Gordon G. Blackburn, Ph.D, the Cleveland Clinic cardiac exercise physiologist. And he continues, “Just about any physical activity can be beneficial, so long as you do it regularly.”
- Walking and exercise improve mental health by raising confidence and brightening mood.
- Walking and exercise help the GI tract to have better regularity & mobility, and a lower risk of colon cancer to boot.
- Women who did moderate exercise for 2 1/2 hours weekly were 33 percent less likely to develop breast cancer, and those exercising 5 hours each week were 55 percent less likely to get the disease.
- Walking is a weight-bearing exercise, which is important in strengthening bones.
- Exercise helps protect joints by keeping cartilage healthy and may even reverse knee problems by helping to control weight.
Talk about accomplishing a lot in a little time, with minimum effort! Keep the body busy with physical activity! Move your muscles to improve metabolism with 30 minutes of exercise each day.
This message is brought to you by those who want to help you keep your heart healthy, your brain functioning properly, and your whole body working for your entire lifetime. Run, walk, dance, swim, stretch, but do some form of exercise to improve skin and bones, mind and muscles, and all of the body, mind and spirit, but do something besides sit.
Exercise improves blood flow to the brain, heart, and all the organs and bodily systems. All the while we’ll be moving and improving. So, be a busy body and keep your body busy with life-sustaining, healthy walking and exercise.
Like the swan pictured above with her twin cygnets (baby swans), come on and jump in. The water’s fine! Don’t be afraid to get your feet wet and expend a little energy toward your health.
Here’s to healthy eating and happy living!