Need a FEW suggestions to keep things running smoothly in the lower GI tract?:
Stop living life on the edge and start learning how to keep things moving along in the GI system. Learn what to do so things don’t get stopped up, aka constipation.
Here are two key ideas to help you think about it so you’ll remember 1) what it needs and 2) what you need to do:
- The GI system can be compared to a processing plant that processes the food, sends everything where it needs to go, and either stores or disposes of the rest, the waste, which goes on to the lower GI, or colon. Let’s imagine this last part as a garbage disposal.
- Remember these three things that start with F*E*W*, which are important to keep it running smoothly so it empties in a timely manner and doesn’t get clogged up and bog you down.
- Fiber: eat F&V’s (Fruits and Vegetables) to get plenty of fiber in your diet. A simple solution: eat an apple every day. It may keep more than the doctor away and may keep colon cancer away. Fitness is another good word for the F in FEW.
- Exercise: Stay fit with exercise, like walking. Exercise aids digestion & stimulates muscles to move things along in the GI tract. A Simple Solution: walk 20 minutes three times a day, and walk up & down some stairs for starters. Education is also vital in understanding the importance of exercise. Let’s hear it for the E in FEW: Exercise and Education, too.
- Water: drink plenty of water so you don’t get dehydrated. It’s a necessary component of a healthy diet. Imagine putting food down a garbage disposal without adding water. It would soon grind to a halt! Your GI tract might do that, too. A Simple Solution: keep water handy and drink it before, during, and between meals.